About Pink

Pink was born Alecia Moore in Doylestown, Pennsylvania September 8, 1979. Her mother, Judith Moore, works as a nurse and her father, James Moore, Jr.,
is a Vietnam veteran. Her father played guitar and sang songs for her, and from an early age she aspired to be a rock star.

She released her first single "There You Go" and first album, Can't Take Me Home in 2000. Her more pop rock-oriented second studio album, Missundaztood, which began a marked shift in the sound of her music, was released in 2001, and was very successful worldwide, and is, currently, her best seller. Pink released her third album, Try This, in November 2003, and her fourth in April 2006, I'm Not Dead. Her fifth album, Funhouse, was released in late October 2008 and was preceded by her first solo number one on the Hot 100, "So What". The album hosts Top 20 hits "Sober" and "Please Don't Leave Me", and is Pink's first album to spawn five worldwide singles.

She has sold more than 10 million albums in the US and over 32 million records worldwide, and scored eight Top 10 US hits,
won two Grammy Awards and became one of the best known female pop rock acts of the decade.


December 19, 2009

Pink Warns Music Industry Is Struggling


Pink says the state of the music industry is so dire she'd be flipping burgers if she didn't tour so much.
The singer has been playing live almost constantly for a year now, and says if she didn't, she'd probably have to return to her old job.

"If I were not a touring artist, these days, with the way that the industry is, I would be sending my resume into McDonalds," she told Sky News.

"I actually worked there for a year. I was drive-thru girl. I was very good with the Janet Jackson microphone."

Pink's persistence has paid off. Her Funhouse Tour has taken more than £50m this year, and taken the star through packed out UK Arenas twice.

But you'd still be hard pushed to find someone who would have predicted that she'd be on the list of top grossing live performers for 2009, alongside the likes of U2 and Madonna.

"It's kind of surreal," she laughs. "You kind of forget to step back and look at that when you're on the road for a year and a half.

"It makes me feel really good because I know how hard I work and how hard all the people with me work. The secret is wine! And the gym, oh and don't lip sync."

After going home to see her dogs for Christmas, Pink will be straight back on the road next year.

She's just announced a string of even bigger shows at UK stadiums, and a headline slot at the Wireless Festival in July.

"It feels awesome because I'm the first female to headline," Pink says. "That's something to be really proud of.

"I remember the first time I played the V Festival, I was so overwhelmed, but I just got used to it. It makes me feel like Janis Joplin!"

Pink's success proves that despite the onset of illegal downloads, music can be big business.

But she worries that shows like X Factor may be creating the wrong sort of generic pop stars.

"I have a very conflicting opinion about all of it," she says.

"I'd love to see shows that were as successful with kids getting up and playing original material and playing instruments - but then I wanted to be on (US talent show) Star Search so I can only talk so much trash!"

No comments:

Post a Comment